Every child deserves the opportunity to discover their talents. We have developed Theater Kids as a chance for all children to become comfortable on stage, becoming confident storytellers, actors, and comedians. Your child will spend their time playing improv games and laughing, learning the importance of teamwork, and listening in every performance.
DRAMA IMPROVES ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE
Numerous studies have demonstrated a correlation between drama involvement and academic achievement. In addition to having higher standardized test scores than their peers who do not experience the arts, student who participate in drama often experience improved reading comprehension, maintain better attendance records, and stay generally more engaged in school than their non-arts counterparts. Schools with arts-integrated programs, even in low-income areas, report high academic achievement.
WHEN DOES THEATER KIDS BEGIN?
Theater Kids is a six-week course that meets once a week. for ages 9-11. The cost is $125 (unless otherwise noted). Theater Kids sessions are sixty minutes. The class is very popular and we encourage you to register online, or at the theater before the class begins. We begin new classes every 2 months.
OFFICIAL VENDOR FOR CHARTER AND HOME SCHOOL PROGRAMS
We are a proud vendor and partner with many of the charter and home school programs. If you would like to use vouchers towards the course please contact Blacktop Comedy. We look forward to working with you. We are vendors and partners with:
- Visions in Education
- South Sutter Charter
- Horizon Charter Schools
- Natomas Homeschool Alliance
WHAT DOES THEATER KIDS OFFER?
Students will learn the basics of improv and stage performance, using those skills to create hilarious stories on stage as a performance ensemble. Learning improv can help to nurture your child’s budding personality and energy, while enhancing memory and listening skills through improvisational techniques and games. Great for focusing the attention of extroverts; great for bringing out the confidence of introverts!
Let’s take a look at some of the benefits attending improv classes at Blacktop Comedy can bring to your children:
- Positive Outlet for Creative Energy – One of the biggest benefits of sending your child or teenager to an improv comedy class or workshop at Blacktop is that it will provide them a supportive and positive outlet for their creative energy.
- Improves Imagination – Improv helps a person learn to be quick-witted and vastly improves their imagination and storytelling abilities; both qualities which will serve your child well later in life.
- Builds Confidence – Having a supportive experience at an improv comedy class will definitely help your child to develop and build a healthy confidence in themselves and their abilities. If they are a bit on the shy side or suffer from stage fright, we can help them address those concerns in a healthy and positive way.
- Meet New People/Make Friends – Blacktop Comedy classes are a great way for your teenager to meet new people and make friends in a safe and welcoming environment. We even offer summer camp programs for both children and teenagers for those on the lookout for something exciting and fun to do this summer.
- Learn how to Work as a Team – Simply open up an issue of the Wall Street Journal, Forbes, or any other major publication related to business, and you’ll be able to find dozens of articles on how employers seek candidates who have a firm grasp of teamwork, and how to work together with others. Taking an improv comedy class will definitely help foster these abilities in your child.
- Understand the Importance of Listening – Conversely, it will also help them improve their listening skills and other non-verbal elements of communication. They’ll become more adept at reading posture, body language, and really listening to how others communicate with them – again an invaluable set of characteristics to have as they mature into young adults.
HOW IS BLACKTOP COMEDY DIFFERENT?
Blacktop Comedy offers the best in entertainment and education. When you want to learn improv, and give your child the best in education, turn to Blacktop Comedy. Our world-class instructors are passionate about improv, and the supportive community it fosters. Our experienced teachers have studied and performed throughout the country, including Chicago, Austin, Los Angeles, and San Francisco,
We opened Blacktop in Rocklin, CA because we grew up in this community, and wanted to bring improv education and entertainment to our home.